Follow me as I journey through the great unknown that is Korea.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Successful Defense?

As per my last blog, we are now all acutely aware of my inept offensive skills. One need wonder, then, if my defensive skills have followed suit. I was afforded a great opportunity to put this question to the test last night as I was thrust into battle to try and successfully defend my Cheonan Massiive Pool Tournament trophy. Let me set the stage for you; EVERYBODY showed up to see what all the hype about this new kid on the block was about. Players who hadn't been seen around the hall for some time came out to try and prove their worth. They even flew in a ringer from England to try and strip me of the coveted prize. The details of my struggle to retain the hardcware are as follows:

The first match had me pitted against an on-again off-again champion who had recently experienced some huge success at the tourney. It was a ploy to try and shake my very foundations as regularly the first round is just a formality. Justin took me far, almost all the way, but in the end my resolve was strong and my cue steady. My next opponent was a wild card named Sam who had also won the tournament a bunch of times but who at present was not at his best. As all series beyond the first round are a best-of-three, I needed to beat hi m twice to move on. The first game was probably my worst game of pool to date in Korea, but I won with a bit of help from lady luck. The next game I vowed to improve upon my shoddy performance in the first game, but i did not even get a chance to shoot... Sam potted the 8-ball in the wrong pocket.

The semis would prove to be the defining moment in my very short but illustrious tornament career. I had drawn Mr. Champion, Mr. Masters Winner, widely recognized as the best pool player in Cheonan. Consequently, also the only guy to beat me in the first round in Cheonan. Alan is his name, and disgracing pretenders to the throne is his game. The first game was a washout and I was officialy embarassed in front of all of my fans. I was left with 3 balls on the table (a clear indication of being outclassed). Steady Ronnie, you can do this, just believe in yourself, may the force be with you, and so on. I stepped up to the table and what proceeded was what can only be called a "Major Schooling" of one sir Alan. After the dust had settled he had been 7-balled (had 7 balls left on the table). Coincidentaly, he later told me that he hadn't been 7-balled in about a decade. His resolve was equal to my own though, and in the next game Alan came out of the gates like a bat out of hell and before I knew I was on the verge of being 7-balled myself. My big break came when he missed the 8 ball. I took a moment to gather a game plan and I suddenly realized that everyone had gathered around to watch this amazing display of poolery. Breathe in, breathe out, remember your training, and everything will work out just fine. I then did the unthinkable and potted all 7 of my balls and left perfect shape for the 8. My whole life had been leading up to this moment and this was only the semi-final. I drew in a deep breath, narrowed my vkision on my black beuaty and let all hell break loose. Victory,Victory, Pandemonium, the crowd goes wild (not really but it adds a little drama). By far the best matchup in any game or sport I have ever been a part of. It was like I was plkaying against a version of me from a different dimension. 3 games and maybe 4 turns apiece throughout the whole of the series.

And who had surpassed the other semifinal to claim a spot in Cheonan lore forever and beyond. None other than the ringer from The U.K. named Stephen ( actually he is Alan's buddy visiting for a couple of weeks). Let me spare you the gruesome details, the trophy is still sitting on my mantle. That's right folks, Ronnie is once again the lord of all creation, the be all to end all of the pool greats... right?

Long story short we all went out got really drunk at the adjacent bar and stayed out until 5am and got uber drunk. Oh, and I think I kissed a dude. Just another day at the office.

Roll the Rack Ronnie
?

3 Comments:

Blogger iris said...

I always knew the rainbow bumper sticker was on the car for a reason!

9:06 AM

 
Blogger p said...

your stories are really nice.


are you sure you aren't nancy drew?

but good job on the v, you just get more and more like a superhero.

9:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you would have more luck with the ladies if you didn't go around kissing men, hmm? (just a thought)

I hail to the Master of Creation... mad props on being declared Cheonan's Billiard God.

Miss ya!

x

10:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home