Follow me as I journey through the great unknown that is Korea.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Culture Week

My friend Erin's Mom was in town this past weekend, so we decided to take her to see a little Korean culture in Seoul on Sunday. We went to an ancient palace in the heart of Seoul called Jongmyo. Wow was it ever amazing! It was like being in a forest in the middle of Seoul. There were these amazing ancient buildings and some really lush greenery surrounded by the hustle and bustle of Seoul.

My favorite part of the tour was a little spot that I scoped out where you could see Seoul tower and some other tall buildings over the expanse of the palace grounds. There were other spots too where you could just make out downtown Seoul through the trees or over top of one of the ancient buildings. The only thing that I can compare it to is certain places in the river valley in Edmonton where you can just catch the downtown skyline over top of the trees. It was a delicious fusion of Ancient Korea and the new technologically-advanced Korea.

The tour also made me realize that I am very lucky to have a good job making some good money, all the while having the opportunity to see a totally different way of life with amazing architecture. The last month or so I have gottten caught up in just trying to make friends and getting drunk on the weekends. It was nice to do something educational and influential. This Thursday and Friday just happen to be National Holidays (Choo Seok which is comparable to our Thanksgiving). So my friend Matt in Daegu, my roommate John, and I have decided to take advantage of the long weekend and we are heading down south to Busan for some definite cultural experiences there. Busan is on the Southern tip of the peninsula and is called the "Beach City". It is supposedly very beautiful.

So if I don't blog for a few days or so it is because I am riding some waves in Busan, or just catching some rays chillin' on the beach. Later dudes,

Ronnie Five-O

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home