Follow me as I journey through the great unknown that is Korea.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Boys in Blue

You would think that because I am in Korea, ie. half way around the world, that I wouldn't really be too concerned with professional sports going on back home right now. I mean, if I can't watch 99% of the games or go to any of them, why should I have any vested inerest in them? The answer is that life in Korea is not always as jam-packed full of excitement as my blog would lead you to believe. I have always been a stats guy, and checking out scores online gives me ample enough distraction to get through my days here.

My favorite distraction are obviously my boys, the Edmonton Oilers. I have been fortunate enough to watch a few games on the internet here and one in Seoul in a Canadian bar. But watching them this year I feel that they are a Dr. Jekkyl and Mr. Hyde team. I mean they went on a 5 or 6 game winning streak and then lost to the Ducks with 17 seconds left to go in the game with the lead. Then they get totally annihilated at home against a crappy Avalanche team.

Now I will always have faith in my boys. I have been lucky enough to see some of the best players ever to play the game when I was growing up. I stayed with them when they didn't make the playoffs for about 6 years. I was with them for the epic first round triumphs over The Stars and the Avalanche. I stuck it out when we missed the playoffs for 4 more years. I wasn't a band-wagon jumper like sooooo many people last year. I even grew a sick playoff beard for my boys last year (let's be honest, it was the single reason they made it to game 7 of the finals).

My inquiry to my friends back home is: what is the overall sentiment in Edmnonton right now? Do we have a lot of believers, or do a lot of people still have a hangover from last year's playoff run? Are there still a lot of bandwagon jumpers still holding on? I hear that the games are still as loud as the playoffs were. How is the media reacting to this year's start?

Please answer my questions for me, so that I may have ample distraction to get me through another work week here in Cheonan. Rollie, Rollie, Rollie!!!!

Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie!!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger iris said...

Ron, it is still punanni for Pisani for this Edmonton girl.

Ok, really, I could care less about hockey. The only reason I watch is so Paul will hang out with me. I just wanted to post to a)write punanni for Pisani ... I still giggle at that one and b) to beat Shadi at commenting on your post.

12:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

go habs.

6:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

also, i can post on both yours and matty's blog now.

THAT IS AWESOME...

because i'll be able to clear up the mess of stories that you two come up with.

6:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home